Tuesday, March 24, 2020

SBD SUNSHINE FLOWERS

Hi there! 

I’m back on the SBD blog with another design and this time I am doing a masking and stamping technique using ‘Sunshine Flowers’ to create this sunflower bouquet that is perfect for Mother’s Day. I wanted to try a new colouring medium for this project and so I dusted off my watercolour pencils.  


Firstly I made some masks using all the flower and leaf images from the set before I stamped the large sunflower on to some watercolour paper with distress ink in tea dye. I masked off the large flower and stamped the small sunflower around the large one, arranging it in a certain way and  with the colour I roughly filled in the petals.


With an aqua brush I started to pull out the pigment to fill out the petals, ensuring the gaps are covered. I experimented dry watercolour pencil on a wet image to see what effect I would get and So, I began adding some shades. I liked the soft overall effect it gave but as a whole, it did not stand out as much as I wanted it to. I then outlined all the sunflowers in a brown fine line pen adding a few lines on the petals to make the sunflowers stand out. I left the leaves as it it because I wanted the sunflowers to be the main focus. Once all the colouring, shading  and outlining is done, I used my versamark pen to make dots in the centre of the flowers then heat embossed the dots in bronze and fussy cut the image as close to the edge as possible. 


For the background I took some A5 cream linen paper and with my vintage photo distress ink, I stencilled in the Plaid design down the centre. I then die cut a frame out of some recycled kraft card using the largest size from hunky dory moonshine scallop edge frame dies. 

Finishing off, I heat embossed the sentiment in black on the bottom right corner and mounted the scallop frame and the sunflowers on to the stencilled background with some 3mm foam strips then I added some yellow sparkly gems before I attached it onto an A5 kraft card base. 

I really enjoyed using the watercolour pencils today as it was so easy to use and most importantly, no mess! I didn’t even need to take out a painting pallet as there wasn’t any colour mixing involved in this project. I hope today’s card will give you some inspiration and lift your mood today as sunflowers are known to be ‘happy’ flowers.  Thank you for stopping by. 

x Ali x

Find me on:




Product links: 

(For some ££ off use my code: ALI) 

For all your crafting needs

Cosmic shimmer

Moonstone By Hunkydory 

Daler Rowley

Distress Inks:
Vintage photo

Stix

Nail art assorted Gems 

Craft stash UK 

Derwent 

Tim Holtz 

No comments:

Post a Comment